Finally it's summer again! And once again, the jump from winter to high summer with 1 million degrees at night happened overnight, of course. So after my body somehow detached itself from the couch and I finally ventured outside again after endless hours of Netflix and PlayStation, the balcony first had to be cleared out to make room for a few plants and a small barbecue. And then the barbecue finally started! In addition to delicious chicken skewers, we had this wonderfully fresh couscous salad with grilled halloumi and courgettes.
A barbecue salad or a salad for barbecuing?
I love grilling! I just love the fantastic roasted flavours that ingredients develop directly over the flame. The flavours you can tease out of vegetables, for example, are absolutely amazing. For me, grilling doesn't necessarily have to be about meat. There are simply so many wonderful vegetarian alternatives: Halloumi and grilled vegetables in general are always high on my BBQ list. So you can imagine that this couscous salad with halloumi and grilled courgettes is pretty much to my liking 🙂
A salad that also likes to become a main course sometimes
In addition to the couscous and the delicious roasted flavours of the courgettes and halloumi, there are also a few sweet sultanas, freshly roasted pine nuts and herbs. The couscous salad is wonderfully fresh thanks to the dressing: in addition to lemon juice, half a lemon is added, complete with zest. Of course, a little garlic is also a must. In fact, the dressing was inspired by the warm chickpea salad Balila.
Recipe for Couscous Salad with Halloumi and Zucchini
- 200 g Couscous
- 250 g Halloumi
- 1 Courgettes (approx. 250g)
- 1 Spring onion
- 50 g Sultanas
- 20 g Pine nuts
- 20 g Parsley
- 10 g Mint
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 Lemon ( of which 50 ml juice) - Organic
- 80 ml Olive oil
- 1/2 Tl Cumin
- Salt, pepper
- Wash the lemon properly, cut in half and squeeze (approx. 50 ml is needed). Finely chop one squeezed lemon half.
- Peel the garlic and crush it finely in a mortar with a little salt.
- Mix the lemon juice, chopped lemon, salt, pepper, cumin, garlic and olive oil and set aside.
- Cook the couscous according to the instructions on the packet.
- Toast the pine nuts briefly in a non-stick pan until they are golden brown. Then place them on a cold plate.
- Chop the herbs. Finely slice the spring onion.
- Cut the courgettes lengthwise into slices, brush with a little olive oil and salt.
- Cut the halloumi into small slices.
- Roast the halloumi and courgettes on both sides in a grill pan or on the grill.
- Mix the couscous with the dressing, herbs, spring onion and sultanas and garnish with grilled vegetables and halloumi. Top the salad with pine nuts.